We are Extinction Rebellion, short "XR" Göttingen. We are different people, how see themselves conneted through one vision: A habitable planet for all humans and other living beings and their descendents.
This vision is valid for all: Who of us wants to explain to the own kids, why we did not act, when we still could have acted? Who of us wants to look at the people we love to be hungry, be sent to war or be displaced? Who of us wants to be jointly responsible for the unknown suffering of unknown people, who are humans like us? Who of us can seriously look into the future with hope? On the basis of this shared vision, we hope to mobilize wide parts of the population and to rebel together against the current 6th mass extinction and the climate catastrophe.
For that we use nonviolent civil disobedience (CD), a peaceful form of protest, which intends to disturb and which has led to big successes in the past for instance with Gandhi or the US-american civil rights movement. We think that such drastic measurements are needed so that the governments start to initiate the needed steps.
We call on everyone to join the rebellion for survival, independent of religion, origin, class, age, sexuality, gender, appearance, ethnos or political leanings. Everyone who supports our demands and follows our principals and values, can become active in the name of XR.
Our 10 Principles
- We have a shared vision of change: Creating a world that is fit for generations to come.
- We set our mission on what is necessary: Mobilizing 3.5% of the population to achieve system change- using ideas such as "momentum-driven organising" to achieve this.
- We need a regenerative culture: Creating a culture which is healthy, resilient and adaptable.
- We openly challenge ourselves and our toxic system: Leaving our comfort zones to take action for change.
- We value reflecting and learning: Following a cycle of action, reflection, learning and planning for more action. Learning from other movements and contexts as well as our own experiences.
- We welcome everyone and every part of everyone: Working actively to create safer and more accessible spaces.
- We actively mitigate for power: Breaking down hierachies of power for more equitable participation.
- We avoid blaming and shaming: We live in a toxic system, but no one individual is to blame.
- We are a non-violent network: Using non-violent strategy and tactics as the most effective way to bring about change.
- We are based on autonomy and decentralisation: We collectively create the strucutres we need to challenge power. Anyone who followes these core principles and values can take action in the name of XR.
Addendum to principle 6:
Discriminatory behaviour, language or behaviour that exhibits racism, fascism, sexism, anti-semitism, islamophobia, homophobia, ableism, class discrimination, prejudice around age and all other forms of oppression including abusive language towards others, either during an action or elsewhere, is not accepted whether physically or online.
Our local group
For a first impression of our work you can find an german articel from Vanessa Bokelmann with the titel "Blockieren, Rebellieren, Stören – Extinction Rebellion im gewaltfreien Kampf um das Überleben” who was published in the Von Wegen magazine. It is important for us to note, that not all activists have to do civil disobedience. There are many more tasks in the legal area!
We meet every monday at 8 pm in a plenum. Here all active and interested persons discuss and decide on the recent topics of our local group. Emerging from this plenum project based working groups ("Projekt-Arbeitsgruppen", PAGs) can form to elaborate certain topics, e.g. prepare action. Next to the plenum we make space for talks, music, relaxation, meetings and other social activities. Furthermore, we often meet before actions, to design banner, flags and other material. With XR Familien our family friendliness is enabled and maintained.
Participate in the plenum or get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org, if you want to join. We are happy to meet you!
Our topics and dates are: